Monday, January 25, 2010

The Water Babies: A theory of Evolution

One of the first books I ever read in my life was a very simplifed version of Charles Kingsley's old classic: The Water Babies. At 6 years of age, I was completely blown away by the ethereal magic, beauty and intrinsic wisdom of this book.
Since then, I have haboured a vague longing/ache for that perfect, deeply connected world beneath this one.(This feeling was recently resurrected after watching the movie Avatar. It doesn't get milder with the years and I've got it bad this time.)

What struck me was this excerpt from the backcover:

Charles Kingsley published The Water Babies in 1863, only a few years after Darwin's controversial The Origin of Species. Kingsley brilliantly adapted Darwin's theory of evolution for children, arguing that the survival of the species depends not on the condition of the body, but on the condition of the soul......

Imagine that even then, just after the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, that these deliberations were also entertained by individuals who believed that there was more to the survival of humanity than animal husbandry and the pedigree of one's bones and gristle.

Are there any of you out there who understand and share this ache of which I speak? Please share your views on this and let me know how you deal with being in this world but not of it.

Chinello Ifebigh
"If we build it, they will come".

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chinello,
    Seeing the film Avatar has had a similar effect on me and my guess is we are not alone in this...
    And yes, I understand the aching. More so every day. However, it's quite a positive ache, like the itch in "itching to...".
    Seeing around me how quickly things manifest, materialize litterally out of thought, makes me very hopeful. I know we will be living our dreams quite soon, I just don't know what my innermost dreams look like, they might be quite different from any romantic notions associated with dreaming in the common usage of the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way after wathcing Avatar, had the same feeling renewed that there is something more than material world out there and it's more connected to us then we think..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kittynel en Chiel,
    Whata pleasant surprise! It is very reassuring to know that there are lots of us out there that share this feeling.
    Yes, it is a positive ache and It makes me feel optimistic about the future of mankind. I hope that this is the collective center in all of us that will make the difference at the 11th hour.

    ReplyDelete