Monday, December 21, 2009

What is your new year's resolution?

My new year's resolution is to get physically fit again. I have actually started following through as I commenced running again this month. I enjoy being out there on my own, quieting my busy mind and "feeling" my body again. Things suddenly got nasty last week when the ice-age arrived and brought with it my old white enemy: Mister Snow.
Mister Snow and I have respectfully kept out of each other's territory. He knowing that an African in a cold climate is complicated and me knowing to keep out of his way.

When the old guy turned up big time a few days ago and decided to throw a party, I was at first astounded. I am ashamed to say that he gave me a good licking and I stayed indoors for days nursing my easily frostbitten appendages and seething from within.
Luckily today the primal call in my bones egging me to go out and move was too strong to ignore. So this evening I marched resolutely into the snow storm for a showdown with the old enemy.

And what a beautiful world of shrouded silence I encountered! The air crisp and pure and intoxicating. I was expecting that my toes would roll over and die within minutes as they usually do but for the first time in all my 15 years of cold climate survival, nothing happened!
Never mind the teenagers whose evening fun was sealed as they watched me almost scale the nearest tree, half dead from the shock of their illicit fireworks.
Today I overcame myself and made a new friend: "Me and Mister Snow ieez like 2 peas in a pod now";-)

So tell me, What self-imposed limitations are you going to give a licking come 2010?

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to tackel lifes pre-determined limitations. By that I mean there are so many self impossed parameters that we are all trying to follow on a daily basis. That we all get caught up in the things we need to do as opossed to the things we would like to do.

    I met a man last saturday who has a very successful internet company. He explained to me that he works constantly at trying to improve his company so that his children and himself can have the kind of life that they can enjoy lifes many pleasures. But instead he is tired of trying to find the monetary pleasures. He wants to sell his business get rid of his BMW X5, buy a van and do what he started to do and that is buy and sell. He wants to live his passion and not be thawarted in a direction that drains it. I know what you're gonna say about choice, but sometimes you think you're making your own choice but in actuality your making a choice based upon a subtle impossed expectancy.
    Anyways I plan to do as much as I can that will enrich my life where-by those in my life who are important to me will finally meet me!

    ReplyDelete